POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disc which is not flat : Re: Disc which is not flat Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disc which is not flat
From: Slime
Date: 30 Nov 2001 02:37:33
Message: <3c07373d$1@news.povray.org>
y*.1 is equivalent to <0,.1,0>. You can't scale an object by zero in any
direction - it's like squishing it to zero thickness, and there are
mathematical reasons why the concept doesn't work (it relates to division by
zero). You'll notice that when you use something like that, POV-Ray gives
you a warning saying that you can't scale by zero, and it's replacing the
zeros with ones. That's usually the intended behavior, as you just
demonstrated. I usually don't worry about the warnings, since it's pretty
obvious what my intent is when I say scale y*.1, but if you want to be
really correct about it, use scale <1,.1,1> or scale y*.1 +x+z.

--
- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]